Sunday, September 27, 2009

Minerva - Goddess of Wisdom


Shanah Tovah!
I realize that the 10 days of awe are almost over, but my lack of WiFi has crippled
me from writing about Rome two Saturdays ago.
6:00. That is when the train left from Viterbo. Which means, that I got up at around 5:30, found something to
wear appropriate for an Orthodox Temple, grabbed some Uno cards, got out the door, and felt my way down the road in the dark to my carpool. Nash and I arrived at exactly 6:00 where Ben was waiting. He promptly told us that in fact, the train left at 5:54. So we waited for 20 minutes for the next one.
Lack of sleep and excitement makes me giddy so we spent most of the travel time giggling about silly stuff, like Uno.
We arrived in Rome around 7:45 and had 15 minutes to find the temple, which didn't prove easy. We asked directions from a
n old lady at the bus stop who rambled on and on about the river, and something about the bus, but then no, take the metro but that might not work so find a bus stop, but then you have to take the metro an
d a bus, but you should probably walk but you have to c
ross the river....
We got away.
Took the metro to "Colloseo" which literally was the Colloseo. Honestly, who steps out of the metro and almost bumps their nose on the Colloseum. Sometimes, living in Italy is hard to believe.
We found the
temple and since we were a bit late, got coffee and decided to get there on the hour. Ben and I made
sure to wipe off our
cappuccino mustach
es before going in.
Originally, there were two other girls coming, both of which decided not to
because we heard W
omen had to stand in the back. I was led up a flight of stairs and found that we didn't have to stand but had an immense balcony to sit on with cushioned chairs. We were hidden though, behind a tall metal gate, with ornate designs. In order to see well, I had to press my face to the gate and look through the holes. When I did, I could see everything! A much better seat than the men's. But after all, we women cannot distract them from their prayer
s. Go
d forbid.
By 11:00 the Temple was packed. Everyone was talking, which was fine except it continued through the services. Every now and then someone would pound on the floor and the talking would die down, just to start back up again. So, I could sort of hear the prayers, all of which were chanted and sung. And the one 5 minute sermon was completely muffled. Apparently that is typically Italian. At the end, I was pressed against the gate due to
lack of space. Two elderly women were talking above me and every time they would move their hands (which was a lot) I would get clocked in the head by sharp elbows.
The last five minutes were actually dedicated to prayer. I was dragged into a group of women and the entire congregation was covered with the Tallits and we stood there while the Rabbi chanted. It was truly magical.
When it was over, everyone kissed and said "Shanah Tovah!" and for the rest of the day whenever you greeted someone that looked jewish you would say "Ciao, Shanah Tovah!"
Which means Good and Sweet year!
Then we had lunch and walked around Rome and Ben and I started calling Nash Dad,
but that's another story.


1 comment: